Ten Head to World Burger Finals
[Nov 15, 2014 — Las Vegas] After two rounds of cooking, ten finalists, from a field of 47, move to the last round of the World Burger Championship. The event is part of the annual Word Food Championships (WFC).
The burger competition consists of three rounds. In round one, contestants cook their signature burger. Round two “separates the contenders from the pretenders by forcing everyone to create their own spin on the same basic dish,” said a WFC spokesperson. Round three is the final battle between the top ten teams for the title of World Burger Champion.
Winning the top ten slots and moving on are:
1. Burger Republic, Nashville
2. Second City Smoke, a BBQ competition team, Chicago
3. One-Eyed Betty’s, Ferndale, MI
4. Bates Technical College, Culinary Arts Program, Tacoma
5. Medium Rare, (Mark Bucher), Washington, D.C.
6. Cypruss Street, Atlanta
7. Team Bull Chicago, Illinois.
8. Porketeers, a competition BBQ team, Southern California
9. Fabulous Burger Boys, a group of neighbors from Memphis
10. The Beefy Boys, Herefordshire, UK (Think Hereford beef)
To qualify to cook at the Vegas event, teams (both professional and amateur chefs) had to win qualifying regional cook offs, or be extended a special invitation by the World Food Championships. This year, a “Tastemaker’s Choice” invitation went to Mark Bucher and Red Cow, in Minneapolis.
The World Burger Championship is one of ten championship battles in this year’s World Food Championships. Along with burgers, categories include: barbecue, chili, sandwich, dessert, bacon, pasta, seafood, recipe and a Chef Challenge.
The 2014 World Burger finals will be held Sunday, Nov. 16.
Bon Chance to all!
Complete World Burger Championship standings.